Friday, September 5, 2014

Homemade Chicken Stock

Yesterday I bought a rotisserie chicken from costco.
I always feel so weird about throwing the carcass away. It feels so wasteful or something. 
So I googled homemade chicken stock and whaa laaaa. 

Put your carcass in a big pot. 
Add:
1-2 carrots
1-2 celery
1 onion
1-2 garlic cloves 
Anything else you want
Salt and pepper to your liking

Cover with enough COLD water to cover the carcass and vegetables. 
Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. 
Simmer for 60-90 minutes UNCOVERED. 
Strain the liquid. And there you have it. 

My conundrum is how to store it, but I just put two cups per zip lock bag, and stored them in the freezer. It made about 16 cups I think?

It's a bit experimental, so I'll update with any new findings. 


No comments: