You will need a mandolin. Don't even try thinly slicing the sprouts yourself. They have to be shaved. I found this one for $10 on Amazon. The next day I saw it at Target for $20.
Recipe from HERE.
Bacon and Brussels Sprout Salad
Author: Pinch of Yum
For the dressing:
- juice of one lemon
- juice of one orange
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider (not vinegar, just regular apple cider! for sweetness!)
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 4 dozen brussels sprouts
- 1 cup almonds
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (Asiago or Gruyere are also good)
- Combine the lemon juice, orange juice, apple cider, and shallots in a small bowl. Add the olive oil in a steady stream and whisk for a minute or two, until it becomes creamy-looking.
- Slice the brussels sprouts with a mandoline, taking care of your fingers! and slicing them as thin as possible. This works best when you hold the stem, slice from the top, and stop with a little bit left at the bottom, discarding the remaining bottom stem part since it's not very leafy anyway. The thinner the shreds, the better the salad! Toss the shreds and loosen them with your fingers to they separate and fluff a little bit.
- Pulse the almonds in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Toss the brussels sprouts, almonds, bacon, cheese, and dressing together. Serve immediately or within a few hours of tossing.