Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Skillet Taco Pasta Shells {30-Minute Meal}

I kind of loved this. It's not fancy, but I made it because I had all the ingredients in my house already and I was in a comfort food kind of mood. It made for a super quick lunch. And it kind of reminded me of a delicious, non-processed version of Hamburger helper. I think kids would love it. From Mel.

Skillet Taco Pasta Shells
YIELD: SERVES 6
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 pound ground turkey or beef
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder or 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used a pint I bottled, and they were so good)
  • 8-ounce can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup salsa verde (green salsa or green enchilada sauce) A dusty can from my pantry...
  • 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained I used black beans instead
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 1/2 cups medium pasta shells (like these) I did a bit less here. Probably 2 1/4 because I like more sauce
  • 1 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Fresh cilantro for sprinkling
  • Sour cream, olives and salsa for serving (optional)
  • I heated up some frozen corn and threw it in at the end instead of having it on the side. I liked it.
DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large, 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey or beef, salt, pepper, onion (or onion powder), and garlic (or garlic powder), stirring every once in a while to break the meat into small pieces. Once the meat is cooked through, drain any excess grease and scrape the meat mixture to a paper towel-lined plate. 
  2. To the skillet add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa verde, pinto beans, chili powder, oregano, pasta shells, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. 
  3. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring often to make sure the pasta isn't sticking, until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15-20 minutes. 
  4. Stir in the cooked ground meat and top with the shredded cheese. Cover the skillet for 1-2 minutes to let the cheese melt. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro. The pasta will thicken as it rests. 
  5. Serve with sour cream, olives, and salsa, if desired.

No comments: