I am a sucker for anything baked--especially cake. This stuff is really good. I got a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook in high school and have made it ever since. Definitely a favorite. I love it every time I make it.
1 cup margarine or butter
2 cups sugar
1 8-ounce carton of sour cream
1/2 t. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional, I like walnuts or pecans)
3 T brown sugar
2 T sugar
2 t. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350. grease a 9x13 pan; set aside.
2. Cream together the butter and the 2 cups of sugar with a mixer on medium. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Beat one more minute.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Add the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture. Beat with the mixer on low for 2-3 minutes or until combined.
4. To make topping: in another small bowl stir together nuts, brown sugar and granulated sugar and cinnamon.
5. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the topping over the batter in the pan. Spoon the remaining better into the pan, spreading it slightly over the first layer of topping. Sprinkle the remaining toping over all.
6. Bake the coffee cake in the over about 35 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly before eating.