Thursday, January 17, 2013

pasta fagioli

recipe found here
my changes are in red.  I liked this soup a lot, similar to minestrone, but pureed beans added a different flavor that we likes.  I would like to add some grated zucchini next time I make it, my kids don't like it big.

Pasta Fagioli (Pasta and Beans)
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 5 • Serving Size: about 2 cups • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 254.5 • Fat: 3.4 g • Protein: 10.3 g • Carb: 47.5 g • Fiber: 6.8 g

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped (I added more)
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped (I added lots more)
  • 1 15 oz can cannellini beans (I used great northern beans)
  • 15 oz can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • 1 tbsp basil
  • 1 tbsp parsley
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 (14 oz each) cans fat free chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarians)
  • 2 cups water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 oz dry Ditalini pasta or other small pasta
  • grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
  • I also added a small can of diced tomatoes
  • I also added a not pureed can of black beans at the end

Directions:

In a deep pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.

Blend the can of beans with one can water in electric blender until almost smooth. I blended the can of tomatoes here, so it was smooth

Add blended beans to pan then add the can of tomato sauce, celery, carrots, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Add 1 cup water and bring to slow boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is al dente, according to pasta directions.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese (extra).

No comments: