Thursday, January 17, 2013

spaghetti sauce, nettie style

We haven't had cable in many years, so I get my food channel fix watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS.  This recipe comes from there, but I didn't actually write it down, so it's my memory of what I watched.

1/4 cup onion, grated
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp butter
1 (normal size) can of tomato paste (this is my addition, if you wanted it less thick, don't add it, but I like the flavor)
1 large (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes--this makes all the difference.  I usually use Hunts brand, because I like it, and once I used another brand and it didn't taste right.
basil to taste (I add about 2 tsp)
oregano to taste (1/2 tsp)
parsley to taste (1 tsp)
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

melt butter in pan, add grated onion until it's soft, sprinkle in sugar and cook until golden to kinda carmalize them.  Add red pepper flakes (I usually do a pinch) and garlic, careful not to burn.  cook until fragrant.  add tomato paste and cook it, this kinda caramelizes too and makes it sweeter.  don't let it burn.  add  crushed tomatoes and seasonings.  Let cook for 20 or so minutes.

No comments: