Tuesday, January 7, 2014

lunch salad

I'm sure you have all had this salad, but here's a reminder, I like to have this one for a low cal option.

Here's what I put on it, but feel free to add whatcha like.

Lettuce or spinach
feta or blue or gorgonzola (don't go crazy with cheese or your low cal salad won't be low cal anymore)
fruit, anything--apples, pears, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, today I used pomegranate seeds
nuts, I usually use pine nuts, just a few.  Easy, no chopping, but almonds and walnuts are good too, even pecans.
hard boiled egg.  I like to use 2.  Don't skip this, or you will get hungry.  I usually only use 1/2-1 yolk.  I used to only do whites, but if I add some yolk I stay full longer

top with poppy seed dressing.  I prefer mine homemade.   If I am calorie counting, or trying to drop pounds, I always measure my dressing.  I usually use about 1 tablespoon.

here's a recipe:
Poppy Dressing (I always half this recipe)
3/4 to 1 cup olive or canola oil
½ cup raspberry wine vinegar (this is hard to find.  I used red wine vinegar for a long time, but I just recently found it again.  It really is yum with the raspberry)
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. poppy seeds
¼ cup green onions (optional)

To make this an easy option for lunch, I hard boil about 3 days worth of eggs.  I also cut up a whole bunch of lettuce or buy the spring mix at the store.  

No comments: