Sunday, January 26, 2014

Overnight Steel Cut Oats

So, I love cut oats, but don't make them as often as I'd like bc I'm too impatient to wait for them to cook in the mornings. If i do make them, I make enough at one time to last a few mornings. Anyway, I decided to try overnight oats and I LOVE THEM...Even better than just making them fresh in the morn. There are a few variations that I found, but this is the one I mostly used and it was perfect. Super fluffy, but still a bite to them in the middle.

http://christinasadventures.com/2014/01/overnight-steel-cut-oats.html --- original recipe (I halved it and don't toast them in oil either).


This much lasted me 3 mornings + Andy and the kids ate some in there too:

2 1/2 cups water
1 cup cut oats
1/2-1 cup milk

Combine oats and water. Bring to rolling boil. Remove from heat, cover with tight fitting lid. Let sit over night. In morning, uncover and place over medium heat. Add milk to desired consistency. I think I added 1/4-1/2 cup of milk the first morning and just add a little more each morning to reheat.


My toppings include any of the following: honey, almonds or walnuts or peanut butter, bananas or blueberries. I just started adding vanilla extract to them too. Yum! This morning I added 1/2 scoop of protein powder. It made it taste like a shake to me, so I didn't really like it, but Andy did.

Sometimes I cook quinoa in with the cut oats. My friend was telling me the other day that when hers are about done cooking, she whisks in a few egg whites really quick. She said you can only see small white specks of egg, but I guess it makes them really fluffy.



1 comment:

Kelli said...

Huh I don't mind waiting for them to cook. I empty the dw and stuff...Feed the other animals...I put frozen blueberries, honey and half and half in mine. It's prettttty much a dessert.